Pool members should be aware of several policy updates
As the pool reopened on July 10, several safety procedures were put in place to maintain a safe environment for patrons and staff. Please be mindful of the following procedures while at the pool this summer:
- Restrooms and showers are available as always. We are disinfecting them prior to the start of the day; wiping restrooms down between users; and disinfecting showers at the “break” between morning and afternoon sessions. We have acquired two “Wysiwash” disinfection washers that allow us to treat the restrooms and showers quickly with a Covid-19 certified chlorine rinse. It should be noted that Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is only recommending a “daily” sanitizing of these areas; we are going well beyond what they call for. Please note that showers will be closing 15 minutes before the end of each session.
- D&J has provided us with a complete plan for the cleaning and service factors at the snack bar, which are sanitized nightly with three different products. All touch points, such as door handles, counter tops and condiment stations, are disinfected continuously on an hourly schedule. The snack bar has been divided into entrance and exit only with space dividers; only guests wearing face coverings are permitted in the snack bar. Only 10 patrons will are permitted in at a time; social distance markings are taped out on the floor. There is no seating inside the concession area; all sales are for takeout only. Plexiglass dividers have been installed on the counters to provide a barrier between servers and guests. Employees wash hands continuously, and reminder signs are posted. Hand sanitizer is available for customers. The snack bar closes 15 minutes before the end of each session.
- Chaises, tables and chairs are spaced out for social distancing, and cleaned and disinfected each day prior to opening, as well as during the “break” between morning and afternoon sessions. Staff wipes down tables between user groups during sessions. Please refrain from moving the chairs around unless from the same household.
- Sharing of the lap lanes is up to the discretion of the swimmer.
- There are restrictions on the main slide as to one person allowed up at one time. Others wait while social distancing at bottom of the slide.
- Our kick boards are not available for use. Members can bring his/her own.
- As we published in our brochure, when the possibility of thunderstorms is in the forecast, please do not drop off a group of people at the Pool. In the event of lightning or thunder, you must leave the facility and seek shelter in your car. With social distancing rules, there is not enough safe, indoor shelter at the facility to accommodate everyone.
- At the present time, there are no plans to do temperature checks at admission.
- Pool hours are divided into two sessions: On Mondays the A.M. session is from 12 to 4 p.m. while the P.M. session is from 5 to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, the A.M. session is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. while the P.M. session is from 3 to 8 p.m. The Pool is closed one hour between sessions for cleaning.
- Due to high volume on the website and on the phone, we will be altering start times for Pool reservations. Reservations for the AM sessions begin at 8:30 a.m. and reservations for the PM sessions begin at 10:30 a.m. Members can still make reservations via online (gardencityrecreation.org) or by phone at the Pool Office at 465-4074. The reservation is good for any time during the chosen session; members do not have to come to the Pool at the opening of the session. Each session will have a strict limit of members.
- To accommodate those members having difficulties reserving a session swim time, we have introduced a same day walk up policy. Members have the opportunity to come to the Pool Office to check availability of the sessions as follows: For the morning session, walk-ins are allowed beginning at 12 p.m. For the afternoon session, walk-ins are allowed beginning at 6 p.m. Admission for walk-ins is dependent upon how many people are in the Pool at the start of the walk in time. We cannot exceed our allowed capacity, so walk-ins will be on an “as available” basis. This process begins at 12:00 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday during the AM session and 6 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday during the PM session. On Mondays, we will begin this process at 2 p.m. for the AM Session and 7 p.m. on the PM session. Remember, walk in admission is ONLY based on availability and entrance is NOT guaranteed. This policy began Wednesday, July 15.
- A cancellation/wait list policy began Wednesday, July 15. To see if there is availability on the wait list, please call 465-4074. Due to CDC regulations, we are limited as to how many individuals are allowed in the Pool facility during a session. If you are unable to attend a session you already signed up for please call the Pool Office at 465-4074 to cancel. As registration closes we will keep a wait list for each session and call those members as spots become available.
- The handicap access gate is being kept closed in order to allow us to monitor the number of users in the facility at one time. With a strict limit of members, we cannot have multiple entrances letting people in. Any member who is in need of assistance or has access issues will be assisted by staff to gain access to the facility.
- All patrons and staff are required to wear face coverings when they are unable to maintain social distance. Face coverings must be worn when walking around the facility, going to the restrooms, to the snack bar, etc. Face coverings are NOT permitted to be worn in the water.
- Patrons can register for the 2020 pool season online at gardencityrecreation.org. In order to register online you need a password. To get a password, you need to verify residency at the Recreation office located at 108 Rockaway Avenue. Membership fees have been pro-rated.
- We apologize, but guests and non-member family members are not permitted at the Pool at any time during the 2020 Pool season. Only pool members during designated reserved pool sessions are permitted into the facility this year.